Belfer Center Newsletter Winter 2010-11
Editor: Sharon Wilke, Associate Director of Communications
Belfer Center Programs or Projects: Broadmoor Project: New Orleans; Energy Technology Innovation Policy; Environment and Natural Resources; Information, Technology, and Governance; International Security; Managing the Atom; Middle East Initiative; Science, Technology, and Public Policy; Terrorism and Weapons of Mass Destruction; Dubai Initiative; The Future of Diplomacy Project; U.S.-Chinese Security Relations
The Winter 2010-11 issue of the Belfer Center newsletter features recent and upcoming activities, research, and analysis by members of the Center community on critical global issues. This issue highlights a major Belfer Center conference with top policy makers and entrepreneurs on technology and governance. President Obama's Chief Technology Officer Aneesh Chopra and World Wide Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee were among those who brainstormed needs and ideas for a major new Technology and Governance initiative at Harvard Kennedy School. The newsletter also describes Center experts' contributions to the nuclear threat documentary Countdown to Zero, by Inconvenient Truth director Lawrence Bender.
In this issue, we celebrate Belfer Center founder Paul Doty, whose contributions - to science and international security, Harvard and the Belfer Center - have been extraordinary. We also spotlight Calestous Juma, professor of the practice of international diplomacy, and we discuss Iran's nuclear activities with our new senior fellow and former deputy director of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Olli Heinonen.
Expanding Harvard Kennedy School's Reach in Technology and Governance
Advancing Dialogue on Nuclear Terrorism, Diplomacy, U.S.-China, Middle East
- Countdown to Zero Draws Heavily from Center Nuclear Experts and Research
- Center and Russia's Kurchatov Institute Urge Global Cooperation on Nuclear Energy Growth, Safety, and Security
- Nobel Laureate Ahtisaari on Diplomacy, Negotiation
- Turkey's Foreign Minister Opens New Crown-Belfer Middle East Series
- Center and China Foundation: Can Conflict Be Avoided Between U.S. and China?
Informing Debate on Energy and Climate, Innovation and Collaboration
- How Good Politics Results in Bad Policy: The Case of Biofuel Mandates
- Transportation Revenue Options: Infrastructure, Emissions, and Congestion
- A Katrina 5th Anniversary Success Story: Broadmoor
Features and Spotlights
- Celebrating Belfer Center Founder Paul Doty at 90
- Spotlight: Calestous Juma, professor of the practice of international development
- Q&A with Olli Heinonen, former deputy director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency.
- Featured Fellows: Djavad Salehi-Isfahani, Charles (Skuk) Jones, Carlotta Minnella
- Belfer Center Fellows are Heart of Center's Research Community
- Current and Former Fellows at Work
News and Notes
- From the Director: Graham Allison
- Kevin Ryan, Jim Smith head Center's Research, Communications Efforts
- Notable Quotes
- Hot Off the Presses
- International Security: Journal Highlights
- Belfer in Brief
- Winter 2010-11 Newsletter PDF (5.4MB PDF)
For more information about this publication please contact the Belfer Center Communications Office at 617-495-9858.
For Academic Citation: