Belfer Center Newsletter Summer 2011
Editor: Sharon Wilke, Associate Director of Communications
Belfer Center Programs or Projects: Agricultural Innovation in Africa; Energy Technology Innovation Policy; Environment and Natural Resources; India and South Asia Project; International Security; Managing the Atom; Middle East Initiative; Quarterly Journal: International Security; Religion in International Affairs; Science, Technology, and Public Policy; Dubai Initiative; Future of Diplomacy Project; Geopolitics of Energy Project
The Summer 2011 issue of the Belfer Center newsletter features recent and upcoming activities, research, and analysis by members of the Center community on critical global issues. This edition highlights analysis and advice by Belfer Center scholars regarding the historic upheavals in the Middle East and the disastrous consequences of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. The Center’s new Geopolitics of Energy project is also highlighted, along with efforts by the Project on Managing the Atom to strengthen nuclear export rules. Also in this newsletter, Center board member Lawrence Summers discusses the economy as he returns to Harvard – and we spotlight the influential public servant and Center International Council member Paul Volcker, who until recently chaired President Obama’s Economic Recovery Advisory Board.
Middle East Upheavals – What Next?
- What Role Should the U.S. Play in Middle East?
- International Council Engages on Middle East, Energy
- Conference Probes Revolution, Reform in Middle East
- A Fellow’s View: Inshallah, A Middle East More Like Turkey than Iran
Preventing Another Fukushima
- After Fukushima: How Should Nuclear Regulators Respond?
- Views on the Global Future of Nuclear Power
- Workshop Explores Options to Strengthen Nuclear Export Rules
Critical Energy Issues
- New Geopolitics of Energy Project Weighs Fuel Options
- Refrigerants, Naturally! Wins Award for Healthier Cooling Method
- Seminars Assess Media’s Impact on Clean Energy Views
Highlights and Spotlights
- Spotlight: Paul Volcker
- Q&A: Lawrence H. Summers
- James Schlesinger Honored with Professorship in his Name
- Generals Advance Civil-Military Dialogue at Kennedy School, Belfer Center
- Cristine Russell: What happens at the intersection of science and media?
- Chiara Ruffa: How do civil-military interactions impact conflict arenas?
- Fellows at Work and on the Move
News and Notes
- From the Director: Graham Allison on Reestablishment of ROTC at Harvard
- Hot Off the Presses
- International Security journal Highlights
- Belfer in Brief
- Belfer Center Newsletter Summer 2011 (2.1 MB PDF)
For more information about this publication please contact the Belfer Center Communications Office at 617-495-9858.
For Academic Citation: