Belfer Center Newsletter Winter 2011-2012
Editor: Sharon Wilke, Associate Director of Communications
The Winter 2011-2012 issue of the Belfer Center newsletter features recent and upcoming activities, research, and analysis by members of the Center community on critical global issues. This edition highlights new ideas on technology innovation, ways to strengthen U.S.-Russian relations and policy, and fresh insights into intelligence and counter-terrorism efforts. Newly tapped Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton B. Carter responds to Center questions about the challenges and opportunities of his new position, and Center scholars offer views and insights related to the Palestinian bid for statehood. Also, in this newsletter, we turn the spotlight on James Schlesinger, chair of the Center’s International Council, recently honored with Harvard Kennedy School’s new James R. Schlesinger Professorship of Energy, National Security, and Foreign Policy. And much more….
Impact on Policy
- Belfer Center Deepens Impact on Defense Policy in D.C.; Ashton B. Carter and Eric Rosenbach Get Senior Pentagon Posts
- Q&A with Ashton B. Carter
- On the Job in Washington, D.C.
Advancing Technology and Innovation – in the U.S. and Abroad
- Scholars Weigh Info-Tech Policy Challenges
- Juma Lauded for Role in First Innovation Advisory Council in Africa
U.S.-Russian Relations – Strengthening Partnerships, Policy
- U.S. and Russian Experts Assess Threat of Nuclear Terror
- Task Force Prescribes Steps to Strengthen U.S. Policy on Russia
Middle East Peace – Next Step?
Nuclear Terrorism, Counter-terrorism, and Policy Issues
- Terrorist Threat Demands Creative Intelligence
- MacArthur Grant Enriches Managing the Atom Fellowships
Highlights and Spotlights
- Spotlight: James Schlesinger – Graham Allison reflects on Schlesinger the man and how an institution like Harvard comes to honor him with a professorship
- Belfer Faculty Member Lucas Papademos named Prime Minister of Greece
- Yvonne Yew: Understanding the Non-Aligned Movement in Nuclear Global Order
- Hanne Hagtvedt Vik: Human Rights and Implementation of Protective Laws
News and Notes
- From the Director: Graham Allison on 20th anniversary of Soviet Union collapse
- Hot Off the Presses
- International Security: Journal Highlights
- Belfer in Brief
- PDF of Belfer Center Newsletter 2011-2012 (2.4 MB PDF)
For more information about this publication please contact the Belfer Center Communications Office at 617-495-9858.
For Academic Citation: