Belfer Center Spring 2014 Newsletter
Editor: Sharon Wilke, Associate Director of Communications
The Spring 2014 issue of the Belfer Center newsletter features recent and upcoming activities, research, and analysis by members of the Center community on critical global issues. This edition highlights the Belfer Center’s deepening engagement with China and increasing collaboration with Harvard Kennedy School’s Ash Center for Democratic Governance around critical issues related to China. We also announce former Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd as a new Belfer Center senior fellow who will lead efforts to explore possibilities and impacts of a new strategic China-U.S. relationship.
In this issue, we feature efforts underway by the Belfer Center’s science and technology programs around critical water/energy nexus challenges in the U.S., China, and the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) countries. We also announce Nuclear Security Matters, a Belfer Center website that is a one-stop shop for resources on nuclear terrorism threats and prevention in anticipation of the 2014 Nuclear Security Summit, and we look at Why Iran Matters, with commentary and analysis by Center experts on a possible agreement with Iran around its nuclear program. Also included is a feature on the American economy and American security, with views from Center-affiliated economic experts; and, a look at a project headed by David Petraeus and Graham Allison on U.S. competitiveness.
Our Spotlight in this issue is on new senior fellow Michael Morell, former deputy director of the CIA, with our Viewpoint featuring views of Samantha Power, Belfer alum and current U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations. Belfer Center research fellows Matt Waldman and Andrew Parker are featured for the work they are doing on Afghanistan and geoengineering, respectively.
- Center Deepens Engagement with China; Australia’s Kevin Rudd to Enhance China Research as Senior Fellow
- HKS Expands Research, Collaboration with China
Nuclear Threat Reduction
- Experts Brief Nuclear Summit Planners on Terrorism Threats, Security
- Why Iran Matters
- IAEA’s Laura Rockwood Joins Managing the Atom Project
Environment, Energy, and Climate
American Economy, Security, and Competitiveness
- American Economy and American Security: Stuck in Secular Stagnation?
- Competing on a Global Scale in the 21st Century – with David Petraeus
In the Limelight
- Viewpoint with Samantha Power
- Spotlight on Michael Morell
- Goodman Family Professorship Expands Reach of Center’s Future of Diplomacy Project
- Belfer Center Named Number-One-University-Affiliated Think Tank
Fellows in Focus
- Andrew Parker: Uncertainties and Implications of Geoengineering
- Matt Waldman: Seeing Through the Fog of War in Afghanistan
- Hot Off the Presses
- Arabs and Israelis: Conflict and Peacemaking in the Middle East – new book
- International Security Journal Highlights
News and Notes
Spring 2014 Newsletter
Editor: Sharon Wilke, Associate Director, Communications
James Smith, Director, Communications
Arielle Dworkin, Digital Communications Manager
Andrew Facini, Communications Assistant
The Communications Office was assisted in the production of this newsletter by Monica Achen, Abigail Collins, Laura Diaz Anadon, Ramiro Gonzalez Lorca, Krysten Hartman, Susan Lynch, Martin Malin, and William Tobey.
Spring 2014 Newsletter – View the Flipbook
- Spring 2014 Newsletter PDF (3.2 MB PDF)
For more information about this publication please contact the Belfer Center Communications Office at 617-495-9858.
For Academic Citation: