Fall/Winter 2015-2016 Belfer Center Newsletter
Editor: Sharon Wilke, Associate Director of Communications
The Fall/Winter 2015-2016 issue of the Belfer Center newsletter features recent and upcoming Center activities, along with research and analysis of critical global issues by members of the Center community. This issue highlights visits by Secretary of State John Kerry, who answered questions from an audience of more than 500 Harvard students and faculty in an event hosted by the Belfer Center, and by former Secretary of State Colin Powell, who spoke to students and faculty as part of the American Secretaries of State Project, an initiative of Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard Law School, and Harvard Business School.
December's UN COP21 climate change summit in Paris—a major opportunity for the world to reduce climate change—is also a focus of this issue. The Belfer Center’s Robert Stavins and David Keith face off with essays on whether the Paris conference is a key step in stopping climate change. We also feature President Obama’s recent visit to Alaska to experience climate impacts first-hand along with his science advisor John P. Holdren, former director of the Belfer Center’s Science, Technology, and Public Policy program. Pinar DeNeve, a Belfer Center Environment and Natural Resources Program participant in the recent Arctic Circle Assembly in Iceland, offers her takeaways regarding Arctic challenges and opportunities, while other Center programs focus on the Center’s climate research collaboration with China.
This issue also announces a significant gift to the Belfer Center and the Kennedy School from Robert and Renée Belfer and their son Laurence Belfer. The Belfer family investment will enable the Center to launch the Cyber Security Project as part of a New Initiatives Fund and will help the Kennedy School deepen its commitment to train tomorrow’s leaders.
Global Security Challenges and the Lessons of History
- Welcome Mr. Secretary (Belfer Center Hosts Sec. of State John Kerry)
- Secretary of State on Hotspots, Diplomacy, and Determination
- General Colin Powell underscores the need to “always show respect” to the other side
- Ferguson’s New Look at Kissinger and the Lessons of History
- Spotlight: Fredrik Logevall (on history and policy)
- International Security: Journal Highlights
Belfer Family Gift
Climate Change and Energy Issues
- Seeking Global Climate Answers
- Reflections on the Arctic and Climate Impacts
- Robert Stavins and David Keith on the Paris Climate Conference – a key step in stopping climate change?
- Q&A: Daniel Schrag (new director of the Science, Technology, and Public Policy program)
Preventing Nuclear Proliferation, Terrorism
Terrorism and the Migrant Crisis
Senior Fellows and Scholars: Insight, Experience
Student Scholars, Entrepreneurs
- Evelyn Krache Morris: Understanding the Drug Trade and U.S.-Mexico Relations
- Anna Goldstein: Bridging the Gap Between Scientists and Policymakers
- Daniel Sobelman: Learning to Listen to the “Other Side”
- Patricia Kim: Developing Effective Negotiation Techniques with China
- Hot Off the Presses
- Belfer in Brief: Confronting Modern-day Slavery; Impact of the Iran Deal on the Middle East
Fall/Winter 2015-16 Newsletter
- Download the PDF version (3.8 MB PDF)
For more information about this publication please contact the Belfer Center Communications Office at 617-495-9858.
For Academic Citation: